U.S.A., Land of Limitations? by Nicholas Kristof- Reflection

"U.S.A., LAND OF LIMITATIONS?"
By Nicholas Kristof 

Reflection


How do us little people get to the top? Am I ever going to catch a break and get lucky? Will I be a person who makes it? I ask myself this all the time and I grew up in America as a white lower/middle class child. I grew up in well-to-do middle/upper working class family who seem to have everything just fall into place for them. 

As for me, I grew up being raised by an amazing single mother, since my father was an abusive alcoholic, so my mother decided to raise me herself. I grew up watching my mother struggle to work overtime and so incredibly hard to put food on the table and make sure I was healthy and living the life shes always wanted for me. My mother did everything she could to make sure that I was doing well in school and doing everything that I wanted. She struggled to make sure I had everything I needed to succeed. I feel like growing up being raised by someone who struggles all the time to provide really puts more stress and pressure on the child and in return the child worries about how they will do so. 

The economy these days is changing vastly and things are much harder to afford like health care. Children are not going to be able to attend school if they are sick and can not see a doctor. Also things are so much more expensive and there needs to be more affordable resources for lower income families. I feel like as the rich get rich the poorer just keep getting poorer. As a Private music teacher, and owner of my own flute studio, I offer scholarships for students who can not afford lessons, which I wish there was more of when I was a kid. Things like this could really help in the education of these children's lives. 

Here's a video of a principal who is really making a difference in these kids lives:
https://youtu.be/O1P6oZjfR54

Question to think about: How can we help students stay in school and stay motivated to do better and succeed in their careers and lives? Are there other types of programs like my flute studio that offer help to students in need? I have always wanted to start my own non-profit for something like this, how can we make this happen? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Multilingual Children- Collier- Hyperlinks